Former figure skater Adam Schmidt has agreed to a $1.75 million settlement with the Michigan skating rink where he alleges he was sexually abused by world renown coach Richard Callaghan, according to court documents and attorneys in the case.
The settlement must still be approved by a judge in San Diego County Superior Court.
Schmidt filed a civil suit in San Diego County Superior Court in 2019 against Callaghan, coach of 1998 Olympic champion Tara Lipinski, U.S. Figure Skating, the sport’s national governing body, and Onyx Ice Arena in Rochester, Michigan alleging sexual battery, sexual harassment, sexual assault, negligent supervision, negligent hiring/retention and failure to warn, train or educate.
Litigation is proceeding against Callaghan and U.S. Figure Skating. The case isn’t expected to go to trial until at least next summer because of delays related to the coronavirus.
“We think this is a good settlement for our client,” said Alex Cunny, an attorney with Manly, Stewart & Finaldi which is representing Schmidt. “There’s still two very big defendants out there we’re going to vigorously pursue those cases to get our client justice.”
Callaghan was permanently banned from the sport by the U.S. Center for SafeSport in 2019 “sexual misconduct involving a minor.”
Craig Maurizi, another former skater, filed a grievance with U.S. Figure Skating in 1999, alleging that he was sexually abused by Callaghan from 1977 to 1986. U.S. Figure Skating dismissed the complaint, citing statute of limitations set by the organization’s by-laws.
Maurizi filed a new complaint with the U.S. Center for SafeSport in January 2018.
Schmidt alleges in the lawsuit that Callaghan began molesting him in 1999, the same year Maurizi filed his first complaint with U.S. Figure Skating. Schmidt was 14 at the time. The sexual abuse continued through 2001, the suit alleges.
Callaghan has previously denied “any wrongdoing at any time,” through his attorney.
Schmidt alleges in the suit that Callaghan’s sexual abuse of him continued “unabated” because U.S. Figure “ knowing full well of the allegations of sexual misconduct, failed to investigate, failed to warn [Schmidt] of these prior bad acts, and did nothing to inhibit [Callaghan’s] access to minor children under his tutelage or those who were present at the events he attended.”
- جانسون و جانسون برای جلوگیری از فروش تالک مبتنی بر پودر در ایالات متحده و کانادا
- نیروهای تاریک که در تعیین سرنوشت جهان ما
- فرمانده دفاع هند به همراه 12 تن دیگر در سقوط بالگرد نظامی کشته شدند
- از کجا می توان یک گیتار برای مبتدیان خرید
- محبوب ترین مدل های پنکه در بازار
- LA County جدید کروناویروس موارد بالا 2,000 برای 4th مستقیم بعد
- شهرستان ونتورا دریاچه جستجو پس از 'Glee' بازیگر Naya Rivera می رود از دست رفته در حالی که قایقرانی
- ژاپن ممنوعیت بازدیدکنندگان خارجی را لغو می کند، G7 برای نسخه جدید کووید-19 تشکیل جلسه می دهد
- لولا، رئیس جمهور محبوب سابق برزیل، برای بازگشت سیاسی در سال 2022 مبارزه می کند
- ال مونته چشم برنامه ای است که اهداف slumlords